Glenwood Avenue Apartments

Image of Williamsport, Pa rental apartment
Image of Williamsport, Pa rental apartment
432 - 436 Glenwood Avenue
17701 Williamsport , PA
US
For Availability Contact: info@pennrealestate.net

Located in the Vallamont subdivision of Williamsport, the building at 436 Glenwood Avenue was built in 1921 by the Vallamont Building & Planing Mill Co., J.C. Winter President (see VALLAMONT MILL APARTMENTS & J.C. WINTER HOUSE for more history).  It was originally constructed as a neighborhood grocery store and the residence of the store owner.  The ownership of the store transferred to The Great A & P Tea Co. in 1925 and they maintained a store in this location for three years. Thereafter, further changes in store ownership occurred and eventually a Grand Union Store operated here from 1932 through 1937.  
 
Meanwhile, in 1927 the ownership of the building itself was transferred at Sheriff sale to the Vallamont Planing Mill Co. as a result of their successful lawsuit against the original owner.  A grocery store continued to operate in the building until, in 1939, the Vallamont Planing Mill Co. converted the building to four apartments.  J.C. Winter and his family owned the property for over 40 years until they sold it in 1968.  For many years they operated the apartment building as the "Vallamont Apartments".  The one and two bedroom apartments retain the hardwood floors, natural woodwork and doors originally manufactured by J.C. Winter and the Vallamont Building & Planing Mill Co.  Each apartment also has a porch or balcony.
 
The modern garden-style apartment building at 432 Glenwood Avenue sits on the site of a large trolley car barn built by the Vallamont Traction Company in the 1890's and destroyed in a massive fire in 1923.  The apartments are air conditioned and include fully equipped kitchens with dishwashers.  An adjacent parking lot serves the two bedroom apartments in this building.  A coin operated laundry in this building serves both buildings.  Heat, water, and sewer service is included in the rent for both buildings.